Site Network: Maxalan | Fluffy Bunny



6 hours post-op

Well I went through with it…

In a word the procedure was ‘Simple’, as least from my point of view. It was rather like going through a car wash and watching the water splash around on the windscreen, or like watching the TV and seeing someone wash the camera lens. It was all over so quickly I couldn’t and still can’t believe it.

When I arrived I was asked to fill in but not sign the consent form as this would be done when I saw the surgeon. I was then taken through by the optometrist to check and confirm some of the readings that were taken at my consultation. All the tests confirmed what had been recorded at my first visit and was told to take as seat in the waiting room in reception. Whilst I was waiting two other patients went in for the procedure and got zapped. This was actually very comforting as I could see their faces when they were lead back to reception. Were they pleased… well a smile says it all. I was then handed a pack containing eye drops and instructions and was told how to use them, but would be told again after surgery.

My turn, well almost. The surgeon saw me next. He took a look at my readings and said there was an extremely good chance of a very positive outcome. He then told me about the risks, which I already knew having done extensive reading beforehand. We both then signed the consent form and I was lead back to reception to await surgery. A young lad, I say young he must have been aged 18-20 at most, was seen next and then went straight through for his surgery. I remembered I saw him during my consultation. I kept thinking I must be next. His procedure was over and he too returned with a smile on his face. My turn next.

I was lead into the room where the surgery takes place, by a nurse and was asked to put covers on my shoes and head and lie down on the bed, placing my head in the hole under what looked like the laser equipment. Tape was then placed on both sides of my face to stop any liquid running into my ears. I remember thinking, that’s funny; I’m sure they should anaesthetise my eyes first and wash my eyelids and surrounding area in iodine first. I was told to keep my eyes closed and relax and if during any part of the procedure I wanted to talk or ask questions then I could. They said they would tell me exactly what was going to happen next all through the procedure, and they did they were great. I remember asking when exactly they were going to anaesthetise my eye, as at this point I was getting worried. ‘Now’ someone said, ‘open your eyes’ and someone put drops in my eyes. My left eye was covered up and we were off. The speculum was used on my right eye to stop me blinking. The microkeratome was then placed on my right eye by the surgeon. I don’t know where he came from, but he wasn’t in the room when I entered it. He must have come in while I had my eyes closed. I was told I would feel a little pressure and everything would go black. I felt some pressure and the sight in my right eye faded to blackness. This is where the blade slices the flap in the cornea. I heard a whirring noise and then remember seeing the flap being pulled to one side and everything went extremely blurred. Next I was told stare at the green light. I heard a fan start up, saw some lights in my periphery vision and then smelt something like hair being singed. After about 10 seconds I was told that saline solution would be used to wash and cool down the lasered area. The flap was then moved back into position and I what I can only describe as being squeegeed to remove any excess water. A surgical contact lens bandage was placed on my right eye and it was done, in what seemed like just 2 or 3 minutes. My left eye was uncovered, my right eye covered up and the procedure repeated on my left eye.

The only thing that was different about the left eye op was that when the microkeratome was applied to cut the flap, everything didn’t go black and I actually saw the blade cut the flap. Remembering this now seems terrifying, but it was great, just like being in a movie watching it happen to someone else. Thank goodness for those little anaesthetic drops. My left eye was done, so quickly that I hardly remember it and had to ask if they placed a contact lens bandage on it as I didn’t remember it being placed on my eye.

I was then asked to sit up and swing my legs over the end of the bed. All I remember saying is nothing more profound than: ‘I Can See!!’ The surgeon led me over to a chair and another device to check his work and pronounced the op was uneventful for them, meaning it went as expected and without any problems.

I was led back to reception to wait for 10 minutes before being seen one last time by the surgeon who rechecked the position of the flap and to pronounce the surgery was successful. 5 more minutes waiting in reception before a nurse came over to administer some eye drops and remind me to take then every hour before bedtime. I was then free to leave.

I have follow up aftercare appointments tomorrow morning, at 1 week, 1 month, 3 and 6 months and 1 year to check on my progress.

So how’s my vision. Well I have a Snellen chart in the dining room. Standing 20 feet away I can already read the line that says 20ft. I have 20/20 vision. I know it’s early days and I still have contact lens bandages in my eyes, but it’s looking good so far.

Thank you Accuvision.

posted by Alan and Maxine @ 5:41 pm,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home